Sunday 30 October 2016

Scottish Masters - Coven vs Amon

So my 2nd round is against a guy who I haven't played against before, but I've been told is quite good. He goes by the name of Lewis Watson, and he plays PoM. He had High Reclaimer and Amon, so I was settling down to play Coven vs HR, and he elected to drop Amon, which I thought was very odd. The scenario was outflank, which may have had something to do with it, I'm not sure, but Amon didn't seem very strong there to me either. In any case, I dropped Coven.

Amon
-Templar
-Crusader
-Reckoner
-Dervish*5
-Devout
-Choir*2
-Vassal*2
-Hierophant
-Wrack

I won the roll to go first (I'm so good at this) and took it because I'm playing the Coven. Deployment looked like so:




 So turn one is fairly standard. Occultation & ghostly on the hunters, IM on the right hand stalker. A VoM for the lulz. One thing I will note that I think is pretty important to do with Coven, especially if you get first, is try and get your egg up the table. If you don't have much to cast you can have your Egg & 2 more witches run, and have what was the frontmost witch become the backmost witch, it nets you a couple of inches more freedom on your feat turn, and can be a huge save in Killboxes. I end up doing something kind of weird here to get a VoM attached to the cloud already on the table (need to run the egg for range), but I create a triangle I can easily close at the start of my next turn. Anyway, because Amon's threat is so low and his only gun doesn't ignore Stealth I can go crazy here and stand basically wherever I like. So I do. I do think vs lists like this I should be way more aggressive with my Machine Wraiths though, putting them on the front lines etc.



Lewis asks about my threat ranges and ponders this matchup some. He spends rather a large amount of time wondering what he can do, because to go into the clouds is basically suicide, So he opts to build fort Amon just outside my right hand zone, protecting Amon from all my Veil/Ghostly/Leap BS with walls of metal I can't end my movement on top of. Still, a very cagey move that I could definitely punish.


So, because Lewis moved up so cagily here I decide I can just feat and set up to absolutely murder whatever comes into either zone. I position my Machine Wraiths so that they can threaten whatever comes in, and otherwise just pussyfoot with most of my force. The witches zap a vassal to death and 2 choir with Stygians, because Amon has 0 threat on the egg. At this point I'm feeling incredibly comfortable. I also put a witch in a zone to really punish not contesting.



So, Amon decides to shuffle over to another zone, and only contest with a Dervish in each because he was too afraid to take an alpha from my list. The Reckoner was the only model that could easily attack my node during the fort Amon relocation project (because hey, Coven feat is good), and sadly it missed twice.


So, I didn't want to commit the left hand Machine Wraith just in case it gave Amon some crazy out in scenario, but the right one was in no danger. I put Curse of Shadows on the Dervish in the left hand zone and blinded it with a Stygian dealing considerably damage. Then the WSC put Puppet Master onto my Machine Wraith in the right hand zone and 2 Dark Fires into the Dervish, causing some damage. My 2 Satyxis units shimmied about and I popped 2 Hand Cannons into the Dervish on the left from the UAs. Finally, Ragman stepped up and finished it off with a Dark Fire. On the right, my Machine Wraith walked the Dervish out from its little nook (after casually strolling into its back arc) and then it got mulched by Soul Hunters who Repositioned back into total safety. I went to 3 CPs.



From this position Lewis conceded. I said as much during the game that I thought this matchup was horrible for him, and after playing it he agreed. It makes the Coven feel like Haley2 with their ability to just hit you so brutally hard and force you out of scenario with constant assassination pressure. An unfortunate matchup for poor Lewis!


Unfortunately I don't have too much to add to this game, but this was just pretty much a dream MU for the Coven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment