Sunday 30 October 2016

Scottish Masters - Coven vs Axis

So, for round three I get drawn against a Convergence player, as it would happen. And he's playing my ETC lists! So, I have a pretty good handle on how this is gonna go, and I know it's going to be hard for me. My list struggles with hitting power at the best of times and Axis was absolutely going to exacerbate the issue. My opponent had:

Axis
-Inverter*2
-Corollary
Clockwork Angels*3
Optifex Directive
Steelsoul Protector*3
Transfinite Emergence Projector*2

The scenario was.... I think it's called Take & Hold now? Close Quarters. I lost the roll for first and was given second, which I knew was a big deal.


And here is where my phone ran out of battery. Thankfully Andrew was a star and let me use his to take photos. So this is at the end of my first turn, where I ran a bunch of stuff and elected not to put out upkeeps in favour of casting Stygians at the TEP until it was blind. I also zapped two angels to death because I got the blind on the first roll. This game I was planning on playing without a Warcaster if I could make Andrew play without Battle Engines.



So in Andrew's turn he couldn't really do much else other than shimmy, with the right hand TEP blind, and the other one in range of nothing he mostly just moved up cautiously, cast a Razor Wall to make getting onto the TEP awkward and put 2 Angels into my Stalker. One Angel hit its 9, but thankfully crippled nothing (I was prepared to lose Cortex, as I am whenever anything hits a Stalker). Otherwise, tactical shuffling ensued.


Alright, time to start making moves. Something important had to happen first though. Strings went on a witch, and I blinded the right hand battle Engine on the first Stygian by using a reroll. Then I put Curse of Shadows on the right Engine and charged into it with a Stalker, a Deathripper and some Satyxis, which took it down. I ran a Soulhunter through a building in the middle of the table to engage a bunch of Axis' battlegroup to stop Counter Charges, and I think one Soulhunter might have eaten a Steelsoul, but some definitely killed some Angels. My Satyxis on the right mopped up the TEP and put small damage into the Inverter while the Satyxis on the right killed some more Angels and otherwise shimmied. I feated this turn to try and preserve my forces. I also put Ragman in a horrible place.


If you can see it you'll know why. This turn Axis counterfeated, otherwise mostly shuffled but the Inverter on the right hand side (which had Iron Aggression) trampled and killed like 5 Satyxis and Ragman with a combination of tramples and bought attacks. Easily preventable by putting a Soulhunter in the way and a silly mistake by me, because Ragman was going to be very necessary for the remainder of this game.


Argh, stupid stupid stupid. Now because I didn't box that Inverter in with large bases I had an Inverter crazy near my caster, most of my stuff was -2STR and I had no Ragman to help out. I also had a TEP that was threatening my caster and basically I absolutely loathe playing the Coven in Killbox. I went into the tank this turn, honestly. I knew I needed to push a lot of damage into the Inverter on the right, and I definitely needed to do something about the TEP. The problem was doing both. I could rely on the slightly better than 50% to blind with a reroll, but I didn't love that plan. So instead I decided to try and do both as well as I could, the plan was to cripple the Inverter to the point that it wasn't a threat to my Coven, and put enough into the TEP to kill it or to completely deny it movement due to weight of bodies. Well, basically I got saved by dice this turn because everything came up Cryxshanks. I managed to break the Induction node of the Inverter (so it could trample but not buy attacks) with some Raiders, a Deathripper and a Stalker under CoS, then hotswapping CoS into the TEP I managed to kill it with a combination of charging and non charging Raiders, some Dark Fires, some sSoulhunters and honestly more good fortune than anything else. I think that had it lived though it wouldn't have been able to push through the scrum, but it would have damn near wiped everything near it from existence. Oh, and a Stalker killed a Steelsoul.


So at this point Andrew's in real trouble. There's Cryx everywhere and not much to kill it with, so he honourably sends in Axis, who kills some nerds of mine.


And I respond by showing him who's boss!



Well, this was really close, and really hard. I think Stygian Abyss is an excellent tool against this list, but it's not reliable and stressful as hell to plan around. If a few key dice rolls hadn't gone my way this game would have been blown wide open, getting the TEP when I got it was huge, and I'm still kicking myself for letting that Inverter get so close to the Coven, just because it was so easily preventable. I also think I could have done a lot more to not let Axis feat on my entire list, but I'm still new to Cryx and it's one thing to know Axis vs Cryx from the Convergence side, now I need to learn how to beat him from the Cryx point of view. I really think a second list with some more armour breaking capability would be helpful though, if I had one complaint about my Coven list it's that sometimes it just hits like a wet noodle.

In any case, I was 3-0 now and into day 2, and as you read in my update yesterday night, preparing for Wurmwood. D:


No comments:

Post a Comment